Dr. Liebell's Master List of No Nonsense Health and Wellness Recommendations:
The purpose of this list is to give my patients (and anybody else interested) my recommendations for a wide variety of health matters: things to avoid, and things that are good for you. Keep in mind that entire articles could be written on the subject of each comment below. I encourage you to learn more by asking me questions during appointments. I've put this list together at the urging of my patients, who want as much good health advice as possible... without having to read a million articles.
I remind you that the comments below are MY advice and opinions, and are for general informational purposes. In addition, they are not in any specific order, and I will add to the list as things come to my attention. It will continually be a work in progress.
Here we go:
- Understand that real health does not come from "quick fix" medicine,
which gives little thought towards long term benefit. Consider the
words of Rudolf Virchow (1821-1902), the "father" of modern pathology:
“If I could live my life over again, I would devote it to proving that
germs seek their natural habitat: diseased tissue—rather than being the
cause of diseased tissue—ex: mosquitoes seek stagnant water, but do not
cause the pool to become stagnant."
- Eat healthful whole FOODS... not loads of expensive, processed vitamin and mineral “supplements.” I frown upon the idea of prescribing processed vitamins, minerals, and other pills. This is NOT real nutrition—it’s business!I Real nutrition comes
from real food and its naturally available nutrients. Blend your way to better health by using a high quality blender/food processor like a Vitamix. My
family does this every day. My
commitment is to making sure you’re not spending the same money month
after month on vitamin and mineral supplements. If you absolutely insist on an additional
supplement, I will get you a very good one (but only if you promise to
use it as a supplement, and not instead of eating nutritious food).
- Juicing fresh vegetables (including wheatgrass) with a home juicer is another excellent way to add nutrition to your body, without buying expensive processed pills..
- Food combining:
avoid eating fruit after a meal. Fruit is best eaten on an empty
stomach; it quickly passes through the stomach to the small intestines.
Fruit in the stomach on top of a protein meal may cause problems such
as acid reflux and indigestion. Fruit is actually a bad dessert for
many people. Eat it 15 minutes before meals. I have practiced this
principle for over 25 years. The thought of eating fruit after dinner
is quite unappealing. Try it!
- Berries are the best fruits to eat. Lemon, lime, grapefruit (not oranges!), and avocado are excellent too.
The best vegetables are dark green and yellow in color.
- Eat garlic often. It's good for you in more ways than science probably even knows!
- Eat as much organic produce as you can afford.
- Eggs are good for most people.
They always have been. The pharmaceutical/statin drug industry has
made sure to scare you to death about cholesterol-containing foods such
as eggs. They have successfully fed humans and animals for ages. Lower
cholesterol? Avoid grains and sugars, eat metabolically appropriate diet
- Try the various Metabolic Typing tests that can be found online, to see what way of eating may best suit you. Do many, and see if there’s a consistent result. Then discuss with me!
- Improve your body pH: Acid body = sick body! It's no shock that the best thing you can do is eat your vegetables... preferably more raw ones. Wheatgrass: contains every identified mineral and trace mineral—more than spinach. Has all B vitamins, as well as C,E,K, as well as the anti-fungal laetril. Wheatgrass is loaded with beneficial enzymes. It is the best for your bodies pH. After
wheatgrass, the best alkalizing foods are: cucumber, dandelion greens,
celery, garlic, spinach, green beans, watercress, avocado, tomato (raw),
and almonds. A healthy person has an alkaline pH. Disease is in part, caused by an acid pH in the body, which results from
bad eating and living habits, which leads to overgrowth of microbes
whose poisons produce symptoms of disease.
- Don't eat any high fructose corn syrup, period!
- Reducing consumption of wheat, dairy, citrus, and sugar can be helpful for many health problems.
- Don’t try to “lose weight”… work at getting healthier and fitter.
- Most SOY, and soy products are BAD for you! Soy has been touted as a super food. It is definitely not. It negatively affects hormones, and may even cause brain shrinkage, breast cancer, and infant abnormalities! Plus, it can impair thyroid function. Only fermented soy, in small amounts, should ever be consumed.
- Quit sitting… and move! America is a sedentary nation!
- All artificial sweeteners are EVIL. Worse than regular sugar! Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal) is dangerous, toxic, and should never be consumed by anybody. Never use Splenda.
- Stevia is a natural and safe sweetener. Use only pure forms—not sweeteners that simply contain it as an ingredient. I use organic pure stevia, purchased at Trader Joe's.
- Fluoride is a poisonous industrial waste product. The U.S. continues to frighteningly turn a blind eye to its dangers, as our water is still full of this toxic stuff, and the dentists are still shamefully harping on its need.
- Do NOT use deodorants with aluminum or parabens—poison, cancer-causing, and health threatening.
- Toxic electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are bad for us. Microwave ovens, laptop computers, cell phones, etc. emit harmful radiation, and should be taken seriously.
- Thyroid medicine is prescribed rampantly, without doctors considering the thyroid gland in the context of the person’s entire health. Is everybody’s thyroid “defective?” Or are there bacterial, viral, fungal, and other causes?
- Statin drugs: This is a topic that everybody should research thoroughly on their own. We’ve been trained for many decades to fear cholesterol, but think nothing of the serious risks of drugs. The American Heart Association has been around a LONG time… yet our rates of heart disease are higher than ever! Statin drugs have been shown to suppress the immune system, impair brain function, increase cancer risk, and many other nasty things.
- Sunscreen: has nanoparticles that get into the cells and can themselves cause damage because they carry the chemicals. Sunblock is a better choice, but the ingredients matter. Most have chemicals, especially spray ones (that are convenient but poisons): Octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC), Titanium dioxide is a potential carcinogen I discourage sunscreens with nanoparticles like titanium oxide. These may be dangerous.
- Inadequate sleep interferes with hormones, and health in general. Take this seriously, and ask me, if you need help. Your sleep cycle (circadian rhythm) is a big factor in your immune system's ability to ward off germs!
Do NOT take melatonin supplements as a "natural" sleep aid. That's right... I know you've read perhaps dozens of articles from reputable sources... I don't care what they say! They don't know how to trigger normal function in the pineal gland through Auricular Therapy ear acupuncture and complex homeopathy. If you give your body melatonin, your PINEAL gland in your brain (the "mother" gland) will shut down production, which leads to hormonal imbalance. Melatonin is a chemical closely tied to your circadian
rhythm. Melatonin is an important antioxidant, created in
your brain during sleep. Make sure you discuss your pineal gland with me!
- The environment and toxins are the most significant causes of cancer—not genetics (New England Journal of Medicine 2000;343:78-85,135-136). Clean up your body, your home, and become knowledgeable about the ingredients of everything you put in or on your body.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: If you have been told you have a Vitamin B12 deficiency—it may really be an ABSORPTION of B12 problem, which can be caused by overpopulation of Heliobacter pylori. Boosting one’s immune system to control these bacteria, through complex homeopathy has been quite effective. I don’t see “conventional” medicine caring to address it at all.
- Keep an eye out for side effects of blood pressure medicine: the New England Journal of Medicine 2000;342:905-912, 969-970 reports some blood pressure drugs increase diabetes!
- Do deep breathing exercises: Take long deep breaths in through your nose (your belly should bulge out, rather than your chest rising up)… hold a few seconds… and exhale through your mouth as much as you can… and repeat 10x. Can you breath too much? Your cells need the oxygen.
- Want younger skin? More vegetables, avoid sunburn/tanning, drink lots of pure water, use complex homeopathy, and quit smoking
- Caffeine impairs hormone balance, and can cause endometriosis, breast problems, and other health problems. It dehydrates you. Take it easy with the caffeine! Enjoy a cup of coffee, tea, or some chocolate in moderation... but don't be dependent upon it for "energy."
- Don’t use canola oil... yuck, it's bad for you! Stick to olive oil and coconut oil.
- Teflon pots are toxic; don't use them
- If you want your best choice to get well from chronic illness… don’t eat sugar! The less you eat, the healthier you'll be.
- Bottled fruit juice is SUGAR water!
- You MUST eliminate scented air fresheners, candles, and other toxic chemicals from your home. This includes many detergents. Use Seventh Generation products for laundry and dishes, available at Target
- Never use margarine or a butter substitute. It is evil
- Don’t drink soda, period! Sugar, aspartame, phosphoric acid, caffeine, tap water and its contaminants (metals, fluoride, chlorine, etc.). Soda is the biggest source of unwanted calories in the U.S. If you truly want to be healthy, don’t drink soda.
- “Sweet tea" may be a Southern tradition—but get over it, and take the advice of this Northern-raised doctor… start a new tradition, and only drink unsweetened tea. If you must sweeten (and you don’t need to), use pure stevia (not Truvia or other products).
- Archives of Internal Medicine. October 28, 2002;162:2204-2208 reports that Advil and Aleve May Make Blood Pressure Rise
- Thinking Point: American Medicine is the leading cause of death in the U.S. If this is so, why is safe, natural health care called “alternative?”
- Coconut oil is good for those suffering thyroid problems.
- Avoid all personal care products containing Sodium lauryl sulfate: Many shampoos and conditioners are made with this known toxin.
- Cell phones may be a factor in Alzheimer’s. Obsession with technology CAN hurt you! On May 31, 2011, the World Health Organization (WHO)/International
Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) stated that cell
phones might indeed cause cancer! They indeed classify the electromagnetic fields the devices emit as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" Research has shown wireless telephones to pose risk for brain cancer. The Liebell family uses "old fashioned" land line phones at home, and extremely rare use of cell phones. Do what you think is best, but don't say nobody told you!
- Triclosan: avoid this chemical in antibacterial soaps
- Got osteoporosis? Ask me about complex homeopathy. Osteoporosis is often a result of parathyroid gland dysfunction. In addition, we should discuss diet (foods, not supplement pills) and exercise.
- Plastic containers are mostly toxic. You are eating or drinking chemicals. Use glass whenever possible. There are some plastics that are free of toxic chemicals, but they're hard to find.
- Forget six-pack abs; they are genetic!
- Don’t eat salads at restaurants or salad bars… unless you enjoy disease-causing germs from employees and other customers. Do you really trust that lame "sneeze guard?"
- NEVER eat corn or corn products that are NOT organic. Genetically modified corn is poison!
- NEVER use products with parabens: deodorants, makeup, drugs: they cause breast cancer! n-propylparaben methylparaben n-butylparaben ethylparaben isobutylparaben are examples. Horrible stuff!
- Use regular soap, not antibacterial (with Triclosan)
- Mercury is present in many FDA-approved drugs. But drug-free treatments are still called “alternative?”
- Eating fat does not make people fat or cause heart disease! Eating sugar, processed foods, etc. are the primary causes.
- Lengthy “cardio” training, such as running can actually damage your heart! I never do this type of exercise myself, nor do I recommend it to others. Yes, I know this goes against "conventional wisdom." Talk to me in person for more details, if you're interested.
- If you are dealing with lots of stress, be aware that your health problems can take longer to improve. Stress interferes with immune system function, and makes you more susceptible to colds, and reduces wound healing. I will not presume to suggest that it's easy to "manage stress" or eliminate it. I just want you to know that it's a factor in your health recovery, no matter what treatment approaches you're taking.
- Check your home for electromagnetic fields. Our high-tech world is harming us with electrical pollution in the form of fields that harm our cells. Nobody wants this to be true... but it's true. I use a meter, which can be purchased for around $200 from various companies. With this in mind...
- Avoid using microwave ovens as much as possible. Another example of harmful electromagnetic pollution. I only use one once in a blue moon, and I stay far away from it when it's running!
- Depression: The drug companies would have you believe that the solution to depression is to pop one or more pills daily for many months for the rest of your life to restore your "chemical imbalance." But the fact is, you don't need to take a dangerous drug. There are safe, natural methods you can use instead, including complex homeopathy. Discuss this with me, or ask another doctor for approaches that address the causes of the so-called depression. Food high in omega-3 fatty acids are helpful too. Make sure if you're eating lots of fish and other seafood that you ask me for homeopathic support against heavy metals, which unfortunately are in our oceans.
- Don’t use chemical air fresheners! They are poison, and have even been linked to cancer! 1,4-dichlorobenzene, or 1,4-DCB is a chemical that is in many of them.
- Find out everything you can from many sources about: antidepressants, statin drugs, thyroid medicine, hormone replacement therapy, osteoporosis drugs, sleeping pills, flu shots and ongoing use of antibiotics. Draw your own conclusions about “mainstream” medicine!
- Don’t trust Wikipedia for health information. It is a collection of articles not necessarily written by experts. It can be edited by anybody to say anything, true or otherwise! Proof of this is Wikipedia's posting on the subject of Auricular Therapy (ear acupuncture). If you're interested, check out their description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auriculotherapy, which suggests there's no scientific basis. Then read my article, which posts not only a really long list of published medical research on the subject, but actual journal articles you can read: http://chronic-lyme-disease-solutions.com/Auricular_Research.html
- TRANS fats are evil… not saturated fats! I eat coconut oil regularly.
- Chronic sinusitis is primarily caused by fungus, not bacteria. If you need help, boosting your immune system and detoxifying through complex homeopathy has been extremely effective at The Liebell Clinic. Anti-fungal medications have not been developed, as they are extremely dangerous. The Mayo Clinic study that revealed the fungal cause was released in 1999, but doctors don’t seem to be telling anybody! There's a shocker!
- Avoid watching the evening news right before bed. Does watching the “tragedy report” give you a healthy mindset for sleep? I think not!
- Many antibiotics have been removed from the market over the years, due to extremely dangerous side effects. They are not the "cure-all" you've been told. Buyer beware!
- Still calling non-drug health care "alternative?" Enough is enough: Archives of Internal Medicine May 8, 2006; 166(9): 1021-1026 almost three-quarters of those off-label prescriptions were for purposes that had no studies or scientific backing validating the use! It’s up to you to decide what “alternative” medicine is. AMA medicine is the same group that has lobbied to annihilate any drug-free competitors. AMA medicine is the same group that was “in bed” with the tobacco companies. AMA medicine is the same group that has long discouraged nutrition and exercise as a pillar of healthcare. The AMA was found guilty in Federal court in 1987 for conspiracy to eliminate the profession of chiropractic.
- A study of almost 3 million operations over a 20-year period indicates
that roughly one in every 113,000 operations (excluding spinal
operations, which are generally carefully verified) is a "wrong site"
mistake (Archives of Surgery, April 2006; 141(4): 353-358 - non-profit Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations). But chiropractic is still called "alternative medicine!" Hoo-Haa!
- If you’re not paying attention to MOLD and Mildew in your home or workplace… you’re not paying attention to your health!
- Suffer yeast infections? Ask me for homeopathic support, and try excluding all grains, sugars, fruits and nuts for a few month
- “Sports drinks” are complete crap—don’t fall prey to the marketing scheme to buy and drink sugar water with chemical colorings. Okay, perhaps if you were paid millions to drink it, as high-salaried professional athletes are, I wouldn't blame you. I'm an athlete (except I'm unpaid), and I never touch the stuff!
- People have different abilities to eliminate toxins. Your constitutional structure matters. People hold in emotional matters as well as chemical. Those who can’t “let things go” may have more propensity to gather toxins, and thus are much more difficult to help, regardless of the treatment methods used.
- There's a fungus among us! Symptoms of FUNGUS toxicity: allergies, hypersensitivity, fatigue, neurotoxins à depression, anxiety, PMS, altered emotions, headaches, diaper rash, ear infections, colic, adrenal fatigue, weight management. Fungi are a major source of illness, affecting all cells and tissues. Poisoning of the body by fungal toxin is called mycotoxicosis. I am helping patients restore a healthy body capable of handling chronic infection à developing a terrain that is unfriendly towards fungui, viruses, bacteria, and other parasites.
- Toxins, acid diet, radiation, destructive emotions lead to cellular change to adapt to acid environment. Healthy cells become unhealthy, resulting in overgrowth of bacteria, fungus and their toxins, which pollute the body even more. This results in all kinds of symptoms and diagnosed disorders.
More health tips to come. I hope you appreciate these "sound bites" of health information, and more importantly, I
hope you start applying them today!
- Dr. Donald Liebell